Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Por Librada

No matter how many times you've approached the edge... each fall is always different. Destinations bypass and intersect... the simplistic elegance of the journey, undone and unwitting. It's where I long to be. I've been thinking a lot about that day... some time ago, in another life. I'll never forget the sorrow in your eyes... the loss before and beside you. It was midday, the skies were black and the rains had been beating the dried soil for hours on end... the cracks in the earth guzzled the tears, never once softening their rigged edges. You came to my door, where you were greeted with silence... just the empty, hollow knock of your rapping. I was nesting in the back, as usual, dancing in the Black Room... my mistress underneath me and my master crouched above. I imagine after a time, you left the front door and came to the rear of the house... every step drenching you further as the waters chilled your fragile mind and weary bones. There it was, a rapping, it was you begging to to see the carnage behind the door... I heard you, but I didn't answer. Twice more you knocked... you could smell the sweat through the walls and hear the shuffling of humanity and recklessness. I rose from the chair, and floated lifelessly towards the door... as it opened, the grey, clouded light filled the Black Room and I stood there unimpressive in my standing. You lifted your head, to meet your eyes against mine... greeted only with an empty eyed stare and a drooling maw to gaze upon. The rain had matted your ruffled curls and the rain drops had breed with your tears and compassion... it's your face that still haunts me to this very day. Through the crackling of the skies, you spoke to me gently... saying only that she had passed but moments ago. Without a thought or reaction, as your head lowered in grief... in my place where my voice should stand, you found only swollen wood. The wind blew the snot and sorrow from your mouth as the door slammed before your very eyes... she was gone and so was I.

No comments:

Post a Comment