Thursday, March 22, 2012

Goodbye Horses

The depression seems to be worsening... infecting my sleep with images I'd rather avoid and see replaced with the nightmares. I've been thinking a lot about the verbal abuse I suffered as a child... wondering what type of person I would be if it had never happened. It's not some infected swell of bitterness swarming inside, I am truly past the anger phase... it's more like the realization that this sucking chest wound effects me deeper than I'd thought before. I suppose in a lot of ways, the verbal abuse cut deeper than the routine beatings, the social isolation, the torture and mind games, the sexual molestation, incest and rape... all of those things were hard, but in some ways not so infecting. Events came, we experienced them, they ended, and we've moved on... the same can't be said about being degraded everyday, all day, for many, many years. The more I think about it, I really think this idea about taking the daily photos could be healing... the fear encases my chest and the air thickens like bitter, pasty saliva. What if I can't handle this project? Would the end result only make things worse for me... knowing I've failed at yet another thing in my life? Would I find the courage to stomach the mocking and hurtful comments from the people that witnessed this spectacle... witnessing my disarray, lack of hygiene, and unkempt appearance? That is amusing... how someone with no self-esteem can still suffer from vanity. Life is rich. At my next therapy appointment, we will bring up this idea an see what he has to offer in opinion and advice. Richard says no, but he delights in the idea of failure. Diana is in support of the idea and wants to see some closure. The Choir is split... some just want to be left alone, others are in absolute refusal, some think it's a waste of resources and the time should be spent entertaining themselves, and the rest think it is acceptable. I wish my opinion had some merit in this discussion, I remember a simpler time when my voice had meaning... I suppose it's been so long now, that I forgot the sound of my own voice and the weight it carried. A simpler time, when no meant no and yes meant yes. It's beginning to weigh me down, all of the opinions and rules... the fear that chokes me and the dangling carrot of freedom. There is something inside that painted, black box that rests in the corner... something deeper than remembering, something stronger than fear, some purpose, a beacon of time, a vigil. Where have the horses gone, the hills, and children... the table was set, with dirty plates, and soiled panties as napkins.

2 comments:

  1. I hit depressions to they come in waves here and there.I take medication for that...usually I can always pick myself back up.I think that is the important thing about moving on and past things into a good healing point is having a good emotional support team. I sometimes rely on a little help from my friends, I think the internet has helped me be more social in some ways....its hard for me to get out and socialize so at least I can do it here.
    I know that this project you may do is a big thing..I know more than anyone how much verbal abuse and how words can cut to the very soul, especially Im sure in cases where the people who verbally abused you were suppose to be the ones to protect you from those things and instead did them themselves. Though Im sure you have been told and maybe you don't believe it but when you were young the people telling you negative things, they didn't deserve you in thier lies. Children are all special in thier own right and none deserve and especially not you deserve to be hurt.....The things that they told you were lies........the anger and name calling, and negativity is really how they felt about themselves they were just tring to throw it on to you for thier own shortcomings and thier own self hatred. If you think about it I believe That abuse from a mother has alot to do with her own dislike for herself.if you think about it a womans children are half of her DNA, children are almost like an extension of the mother almost like ones arm or leg....an extension...so to me it makes sense that your abuse and abuse you suffered from her was maybe i some way her way of punishing her self but through you...whatever the reason is...you didnt deserve that.
    I actually think that you should aim for 365 photos but also you must be gental with yourself if you cannot accomplish them. Lets not make it about failing...really any amount of photos you take and put up I think you have to see as a positive move in a forward motion....even if you only take 100 pictures in a year thats 100 more than your posting now! See you can only go uup from where you are. Hope all of you give it some consideration but lighten up the restraint on the goal..Maybe a six month goal first? Iam intrested though. Hope you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Winona-

      I also take a medication for my depression, but it isn't working very well... I have to go see my other doctor to get it adjusted and hopefully it can get me a bit further out of this rut. Having a support team is crucial to myself, but I believe anyone, whether mentally ill or completely sane can benefit from having one. Emotional abuse is difficult to recover from... all this time I never really realized how much of an impact it had on my being. I think that's what also encouraged this 365 project. I know it is a lot to put myself through, but part of me thinks that is the point... to push hard and really work at achieving something. It is scary, and perhaps doing something smaller at first may be a better idea... I have my appointment tomorrow with my therapist and we'll take it over. Maybe like a 30 day project to just get my feet wet... not really sure, but the wheels are still turning.

      Delete