Monday, March 14, 2011

Me And My Head

From time to time, I like to write down a quote from something that I find to be brilliant. Whether or not it really is, could always be debated... nonetheless, I still find it fascinating. Here is a quote from my favorite movie, The Tenant, by Roman Polanski. It is based off of the book, Le Locataire (The Tenant), by Roland Topor. It is a masterful piece of work, both the book and the movie... no matter how many times you read/watch it, you will never truly know what really happened. Was Trelkovsky really Madame Choule? Was there ever even a Trelkovsky? The questions go on and on and many have theorized the truth behind those questions... but the true answer is long gone, rotting in the grave of Roland Topor. Fucking brilliant.


"Tell me- At what precise moment does an individual stop being who he thinks he is? You cut off my arm, right? I say me and my arm. You cut off my other arm. I say me and my two arms. Take out my stomach, my kidneys- assuming that were possible. And I say me and my intestines. Follow me? And now, if you cut off my head... would I say, me and my head or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself "me"?"

-Trelkovsky, The Tenant

No comments:

Post a Comment